Thursday, April 20, 2006

God's Wisdom

"I will discard their most brilliant ideas... God has made them look foolish and has shown their wisdom to be useless nonsense (1 Corinthians 1:19-20)."
Ever have one of those moments where you start to speak, and about three and a half seconds in you know it's going to be a rough night?? Welcome to last nights Bible Study.... Things were going well, some good 'ole Bible Jeopardy, a video that I put together of people doing stupid things, and then it's my turn to talk about the wisdom of God, based out of 1 Corinthians 1..... well, I'm not exactly sure what happened.... but it wasn't pretty.

There is something about looking at 30 blank faces that just makes you want to climb into a hole, but what is there to do? Push on and hope that no remembers that you had a bizarre stutter form out of no where, hope that no one remembers how jumbled and messed up the whole talk was? Well I pushed through, and got finished the study, much to the relief of both the youth and me. Then it was a good time of hanging out and doing whatever it is we do after youth.

It wasn't until later that the irony of it all hit me. I was in the shower and thinking about how I don't really ever want that to happen again, and then I remembered some of what I had been trying to tell the youth.

God uses the stupid, the messed up, the shameful, the useless things of the world to do great works. If you were planning on choosing a leader to go and fight the army of Pharaoh, you wouldn't choose a stuttering 80 year old coward to lead your people... but that is exactly who God uses. If you were going to start a new religion you would do it like Mohammad, you would see an angel, and create a political power, a religion of might, a religion of the sword. You wouldn’t use a cross. You wouldn’t use a shameful, embarrassing symbol to introduce people to Salvation. I wrote a bit about the shame of the cross a while ago so you can go and check it out if you want (
Click Here) But the basic idea is, you wouldn’t want the cross to be your reminder of what God did for you.

The point of all of this is that;
God uses the things that we wouldn’t ever think possible to be used, and does great things with them.

So my prayer is that God would use my foolishness, and my weaknesses to speak loudly into the lives of the youth.... and I'm also praying that He doesn't feel the need to humble me every bible study night.....

No comments: