Thursday, May 25, 2006

An Introspective look

So in the last few days there have been a few events that have caused me to look a little more deeply into who I am as a person and the things that make me tick. So here are two new self realizations:

1) I get fixed on an idea.... and then abandon it This realization has come out of the whole dog conversation. My wife being the wiser and more level headed in our relationship, realizes that right now I want a dog. But that in a week, maybe two months I'll be tired of walking it and cleaning up after it, and She'll be the one to take care of it. So right now all I want is a dog, and I talk about it all the time, but once I have it.... well what's the next thing? And as much as I hate to admit it, I guess that she's probably right.... and the dog will probably end up along with the weights in the basement, or the video games that sit in the cupboard... On the other hand, I've kept up with bloging pretty well and I still play guitar... so maybe a puppy can be the changing point that I need :D

2) I rely on experience to make decisions This comes out of an interview that I had with Pastor Ben for a seminary course he's taking called Mentoring Young Adults in Their Search for Meaning, Purpose, and Faith well being the dashing young adult that I am Ben interviewed me for the class. One of the questions was, "Who or what do you trust?" As we dug into this a little I came to the realization that I trust experience. In any decision that I have made so far in my life, I have talked to other people about it. Growing up it was primarily my parents, now it is Niki and the other people around me. I trust their experiences in buying houses, working in churches, things that have worked in youth etc. I also trust to the experiences of other people in my faith. Now I LOVE Donald Miller's writing and speaking, why? I think that it has to do with the way he tells stories from his life. He shares his experiences in his journey of faith, and those sort of become mine, I connect with his feelings and writing and so we have a shared experience, and I trust that. I don't know if this is a bad thing, or not, but it is definitely a part of who I am, and it is interesting to realize that be able to understand myself a little more.

No comments: