Friday, December 29, 2006

Family Tradition


So this last week Niki and I have painted my office. I have to say it's pretty sweet. I'll post some pics later.
But as we were painting I thought it would be cool to paint my McCorkindale Family Crest on one of the walls. Which took me on a little search of the history of my name. And all I have to say is, SWEET! I have a pretty sweet last name... not that I want to rub it in, but being of a Scottish persuasion kicks butt!!!

Anyway this is my family Crest! The root is from the ancient Dalriadan-Scottish name McCorkindale is the Gaelic word Mac-Thorcaill which was created from the Old Norse personal name Thorketill, meaning "Thor's cauldron."
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacCorquodale, MacCorquindale, MacCorkindale, MacCorkill and many more.
First found in Argyllshire where they were seated from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Archibald McCorkadale, who arrived in Jamaica in 1685; Duncan McCorquadale, who came to Jamaica in 1758; Christian McCorquodale, who arrived in Virginia in 1792.
The McCorkindale Motto is Vivat Rex which is Translated: Long live the king.

Now all crests have their own meaning, and this is the meaning to this one is this
First is The Stag. It stands for Skillful, Politic, lover of harmony. In Ireland the Stag was one of the most ancient of charges and was regarded as the most handsome. The Stag represents the very ancestors of the Celtic race.

Next is the layout of the shield. This particular layout signifies the Military Belt and represents Honour.

Then comes the colors.
The Yellow stands for Generosity
The Red means Warrior, Martyr, Military Strength

Finally as far as I can tell the wavy lines mean ground, land, earth.

I thought this was pretty sweet. So cool to come from an awesome background with so much depth and history.

No comments: